Dr. Maayan Sudai
Dr. Sudai is an assistant professor of law at the University of Haifa, and the director of the law and policy project in the GenderSci lab at Harvard University. Sudai earned her Master and Doctorate from Harvard Law School and served as a fellow at the Pertie-Flom Center for health law policy, biotechnology and bioethics at Harvard Law School, and at the STS program (Science, Technology and Society) at Harvard Kennedy School. Dr. Sudai explores the intersection and power struggles between law, science and social movements in different areas of law. Sudai’s work was published in legal and medical academic journals, and has won several writing awards. In 2018 Dr. Sudai won the junior scholar “Dan David” prize for her dissertation on the capacity of social movements to influence and shape health policy using legal strategies.
- Biopolitics and Biotechnology
- Evidence Law
- Health Law
- Sex and Gender
- Toward a Functional Analysis of Sex in Federal Antidiscrimination Law 42(2) HARV. J.L. & GENDER (forthcoming, 2019).
- Revisiting the Limits of Professional Autonomy – The Intersex Rights Movement’s Path to Demedicalization, 41(1) HARV. J.L. & GENDER (2018).
- The Testosterone Rule- Constructing Fairness in Professional Sport, 4(1) J. LAW BIOSCI. 181 (2017).
- Changing Ethical Norms for DSD Management, THE LANCET DIABETES & ENDOCRINOLOGY (2017).
- Book Review: “Sex Itself” The Search for Male and Female in the Human Genome,” KENNEDY INSTITUTE OF ETHICS JOURNAL (2018).
- 2014- 2019 Harvard Law School, S.J.D.
- 2016-2017 Harvard Kennedy School, Fellow at the Program on Science, Technology and Society (STS).
- 2015-2016 Harvard Law School, Fellow at the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics.
- 2013-2014 Harvard Law School, LL.M (waived).
- 2012 University of Haifa, LL.B. Magna cum Laude, Faculty of Law; B.A., Asian Studies, Faculty of Humanities.
- GenderSci Lab member Maayan Sudai appointed Assistant Professor of Law and of Women and Gender Studies at the University of Haifa, GenderSci Lab, Harvard (August 2, 2019).
- S.J.D. candidate awarded scholarship to study health activism from a legal perspective, Harvard Law Today (May 1, 2018).
- See my posts on the “Bill of Health” blog.
Academic Honors and Scholarships
- Winner of the Kennedy, Knox, or Sheldon Traveling Fellowship, Harvard University (2018-2019).
- Winner of the Dan David Prize for Bioethics (Scholarship) (2018).
- The Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning award for distinction in teaching, Harvard University (2018).
- Harvard Law School LGBTQ law Writing Prize (2017).
- Harvard Law School Irving Oberman Memorial Award in the field of Law and Social Change Writing Prize (2017).
- 2013-2019 Winner of the E. David Fischman Scholarship.