Prof. Shulamit Almog
Shulamit Almog is a Full Professor of Law at the University of Haifa.
Her research focuses on law and culture, law and literature, law and film, children’s rights and feminist legal studies. She has published numerous books and articles in US, Canadian, European and Israeli law reviews.
Alongside her academic work, she is she is publicly active on human rights issues, appearing before the Israeli Knesset, drafting sections of Israel’s report to the UN on the International Convention on Children’s Rights, and participating on the committee reforming Israel’s Adoption Law.
- LL.B., Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- M.A., Faculty of Humanities, Haifa University.
- Ph.D., Faculty of Humanities, Haifa University.
Fields of Intrests
- Legal Feminisem, Law and Sexuality
- Law and Literature
- Law and Film
- Law and Digital Culture
- Law and Visual Culture
- Law and Narative
- Labor Law
- Children’s Rights
- Feminist Legal Studies
- Guest Researcher at The Margherita von Brentano Center,Freie Universität Berlin , 2018
- Visiting Professor at the University of Bocconi, Italy 2018
- Visiting Professor at the University of Granada (UGR) Faculty of Law 2017
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Bocconi, 2016
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Law, Masaryk University, 2014
- Visiting Professor at CIRSFID – Interdepartmental Research Centre for History of Law, Philosophy and Sociology of Law and Legal Computer Science Faculty of Law, University of Bologna 2013
- Guest resercher at Hans Bredow Institute for Media Research, University of Hamburg 2012
- The University of Melbourne Law School, Visiting Professor, Fall 2009
- Monash University, Faculty of Law, Prato Center, Visiting Professor, Fall 2009
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, U.S., Visting Professor, Fall 2005
- Uninversity of Helsinki, Faculty of Law, Finland, Visiting Professor, Spring 2005
- Washington College of Law, American University, U.S., Visiting Professor, Fall 2003
Presentations in Conferences (selection)
- 2019 – “Literature alongside Law: Kafka and the Impossibility of not Hoping” Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Law.
- 2019 – “Electronic Aggression of Children: Legal Aspects“, Swiss Institute of Comparative Law, University of Geneva.
- 2018 – “Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049 as reflecting themes on Law, Technology and Human Rights”, The 10th World Congress of the International Association of Constitutional Law, Seoul
- 2018 – The Silent Voice: Women in Prostitution about Prostitution and the Law, Bocconi University, Italy
- 2017 – Displacing sex for sale, Aalborg Univestuty, Copenhagen
- 2016 – “jocaste’s story“, Tel Aviv university
- 2016 -” Equality and Differences – Progressing towards the Israeli Whole“, in the conference “Equality and Law“, The President of Israel Residence with Israel’s Supreme Court
- 2016 – “Social Networks as Lawless Domains“, LSE (with Liat Franco)
- 2016 – ” Posing Somdomite” [sic.]: Dignity, Defamation and the Regulation of (homo)Sexual Identity” (with Alexander Feldman, in “Honor in Changing Societies, College of Law and Business).
- 2016 – Politics, power and practices of language – 2016 Herzliya Conference
- 2016 – “From the Olympus to the Mountains of Jerusalem: Athena’s Judicial Model”, Plenary session in the annual conference of the Israeli law and society association.
- 2016 - Minors Protections and the Law of the Internet (with Liat Franco), in workshop on “Constitutions in the Age of Internet”, University of bocooni, Milan
- 2016- “Generative Judicial Narratives in the Odyssey and the Oresteia“ in “Narratives of Adjudication and settlement”, Bar Ilan University.
- 2015- Legal Marginalia, University of Hong Kong.
- 2015- From Paratroopers to Waltz with Bashir: The Absence of Law from Israeli War Films, University of London.
- 2014 – The Future of Law in Digital Times, Bocconi University.
- 2013 – How digital Technologies are Changing the Practices of Law, Faculty of Law, University of International Business and Economics (UIBE), Beijing
- 2013 – The Future of Law, School of Liberal Arts, Ren Li University, Beijing
- 2012 – Addressing the Knesset sub-committee on Combating Trafficking in Person.
- 2012 – The Nature and Scope of Editorial Autonomy in Israel and Germany,Hans Bredow Institute for Media Research, University of Hamburg.
- 2012 – Dystopia and Law in Cinematic Science Fiction , The Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen.
- 2012 – ‘Blow off Roofs’- Paintings of State and Religion in Ayala Procacchia’s Rulings, in “A Judge in a Conflictual Society “, IDC Herzelia.
- 2012 – Annual International Conference of the Association for Israel Studies Social Protest and Lawyers in the Digital Age (with Gad Barzilai
- 2011 – Dystopian Narratives and Legal Imagination at the LAW & THE UTOPIAN IMAGINATION lecture series , Department of Law, Jurisprudence & Social Thought at Amherst College
- 2011 – Les Demoiselles d’Avignon – Scandalizing and Normalizing Gaze and Legal Norms” in the Annual Conference of the Center for the Study of Rationality, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Eilat
- 2010 – “The Right to Adaptable Education” in the conference Minority Rights to Language and Education: Models and Perspectives in Europe and in Israel, Faculty of Law, Trento University, Italy
- 2010 – ‘Looking into the Void: A Dialogue on Cinematic Representations of Lawless Spaces’ (with Professor Ruth Buchanan)
- 2010 – “Prostitution as Violence” in Eilat Conference for Combating Violence in Israeli Society, Eilat, Israel
- 2010 – “Ajami as a Parable – Jaffa’s Wild West” in Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, U.S.
- 2009 – “Legal Conceptualization of Social Infamy”, in the Conference From Anna O. to Bertha Pappenheim. Religious Feminism, Freud and the Struggle against Prostitution, Leo Baeck Institute Jerusalem and the Van Leer Jerusalem Institute
- 2008 – “Reflections on Law and Literature in Digital Age”, in “Worlds in Dialogue” conference, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- 2007 – “Law in Israeli Film”, Israeli and European Law: Issues and Comparison, The Sant’ Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy
- 2006 – “Cinema and Justice in Israel”, the International Workshop- Cinema, Images, Justice, Bologna University, Faculty of Law, in conjunction with Institut des Hautes Etudes sur la Justice, Paris, France
- 2005 – “Images of Justice or Images of Dissonance: The Sissons-Morrow Collection”, the Annie Macdonald Langstaff Workshop, Faculty of Law, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 2005 – “Film and Law” and “The European Origins of Israeli Labor Law”, Faculty of Law, Trento University, Italy
- 2003 – “The Continental Perception of Law and the European Union”, colloquium on “Introduction to European Union Law”, Faculty of Law, Monash University, Prato, Italy
- 2018 – Representing Israel and Member of the Management Committee of cost action Constitution-making and deliberative democracy
- 2017- member in the Planning and Budgetary Committee of Israel’s Council of Higher Education to promote the Humanities in Israeli academia.
- 2016: Member of the editorial board Dignity: A Journal on Sexual Exploitation and Violence.
- 2015- Member of the Senate of the University of Haifa.
- 2014 – Co-Director of The Center for Gender, Law and Policy
- 2013 – Representing Israel and Member of the Management Committee of COST Action IS1209: Comparing European Prostitution Policies: Understanding Scales and Cultures of Governance (Prospol)
- 2012 – Interview with Prof. Almog on her book
- 2010 – Member of University of Haifa Board of Governors
- 2009- Chair of the Faculty of Law Ph.D Committee
- 2009- Head of the Jewish-Arab Center
- 2009- Member of the Garduate Studies Academic Council at the Universty of Haifa
- 2009- International advisor Member ofInternational Journal for the Semiotics of Law
- 2009- Member of the Israeli Press Council
- 2008- Member of Committee Regarding National Award for Combatting Trafficking in Persons
- 2007-Member of the Commission for Examination of Adoption Procedure in Israe
- 2006- Member of the GroupImages of Justice
- 2006- Editor-in-Chief, Academic
- 2000-2007- University of Haifa PressEditor-in-Chief, Channel
- 2005-2006- Editor-in-Chief, DIN U DVARIM (Haifa Law Review)
- 2006- Guest Editor of Law and film issue, Bar Ilan Law Studies
- 2000-2004- Member of the Commission for Examination of Basic Principles in the Field of Children and Law and their Application in Legislation (sub-committee on children in their family)
- 2002- Guest Editor of Law and Literature issue, Bar Ilan Law Studies
- 2001- Member of theInitial Periodic Report of the State of Israel Concerning the Implementation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC)(Editor of the legal parts with Ariel Bendor, Ministry of Justice, 403 pages)
Supervising LLM and PhD
- Linoy Even Kesef, “Social Infamy tax paid by women in prostitution in Israel” (with Dr. Dana Kahtan)
- Moriel Arev – Memory and Oblivion: From Borges to Gibson – The right to be forgotten in the digital space as emerging from literary representations
- Idit Itzcovich- Times of work and rest: the law in changing reality
- Karnit Gefen- The nature of judicial intuition : judicial intuition’s practices on the background of legitimacy dilemmas. (Supervised ‘with Prof. Zvi Eisikovitz)
- Itai Mishor – Between “Revenge Porn” and “Shaming”: Legal and Cultural Aspects
- Dr. Limor Malul, The shadow of Nazi medicine casts on the construction of the field of clinical trials on human subjects in Israel (with Prof. Nadav Davidovitz)
- Dr. Liat Franco, “Cyberbullying, an evolving phenomenon amongst children and youth demands reframing local and international law” ( supervised with Khalid Ghanayim )
- Dr. Barbara P Billauer, When judges and scientists use the same words to mean different things – Investigating the meaning of ‘science’ in law from a ‘law and culture’ perspective
- Dr. Marva Ish-Am, From narrative understanding to legal recognition – Comprehending parental trauma narrative as a tool for realizing legal rights of children with disabilities (Supervised with Dr. Sagit Mor)
- Dr. Elit Ben Ari Prenatal Selection in the Age of Technology – Overt and Covert Ideologies
- Dr.Yaniv Zaid- Legal rhetoric in an era of technological changes.
- Dr.Perry-Hazan, Lotem- On the right to education and the right to educate : the autonomy of the ultra-orthodox education in Israel
- Dr.Adi Libsker- Sexual Offences Against Women During the Time of War: Literature and Film Alongside Law.
- Dr.Tamar Peled Catz- Surrogate mothers in Israel: Building in legal, social and cultural Aspects (Supervised ‘with Prof. Zvi Eisikovit)