Prof. Yehiel Kaplan
Prof. Yehiel Kaplan is an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law ,University of Haifa.His Dr. Jur. is from the Faculty of Law,The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.His Dr. Jur. thesis -“Jewish Public Law of Franco-German Jewry from the Xth through the XVth Century”-was written under the direction of prof. Menachem Elon. He was also a visiting scholar at the Law school of The university of California,Berkeley.His training there was in Medieval Roman and Canon Law,
under the direction of Prof Stephan Kuttner and Prof. David Daube.In addition his Post Dr. Research ,in the sphere of Family Law, was in the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies ,at the University of Oxford.He also taught Introduction to Jewish Law at the Law school of Southern Methodist University.His areas of research are Jewish law and Family Law.He published articles in the Jewish law law reviews of the Faculty of law of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the Faculty of law of Tel Aviv university and in the law reviews of all the Faculties of law of universities in Israel and in law reviews in the United States and England.The focus in his articles is upon several aspects of medieval Jewish public law,several aspects of children’s’ rights in Israel, New trends in Family law in Israel and Jewish law,Jewish divorce law and divorce law in the Rabbinical courts,The policy of the Rabbinical Courts in spheres such as human dignity and freedom and best interest of the child,and the legal relationship between parents and their children in Jewish law.
- 1996 – Post Dr. research, University of Oxford, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies – Family Law.
- 1986-1993 – Dr. Jur. Thesis Under Direction of Prof. Menachem Elon: “Jewish Public Law of Franco-German Jewry from the Xth through the XVth Century
- 1987-1988 – Visiting Scholar. Focus of Studies: Medieval Roman and Canon Law, Law School, the University of California, Berkeley
- 1984-1985 – L.L.M. Thesis Under Direction of Prof. Menachem Elon: “Public in the Legislation of Jewish Medieval Franco-German Communities”.
- 1979-1983 – L.L.B. Faculty of Law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- 1974-1978 – Hesder Yeshiva, Har-Etzion, Alon Shevut, Gush Etzion
Fields of Intrests
- Jewish Law
- Family Law
Participation and Organization in Scholarly Conferences
- 2012 – “Desirable legislation in an Attempt to Enhance the Legal Status of Children in Israel “, Faculty of Law, University of Haifa
- 2011 – International Conference, ” Intellectual Property in Jewish Law” , Yad Harav Hertzog, Jerusalem
- 2011 – “New Trends in the Financial Relationship Between Husband and Wife-Theory and Practice”, Faculty of Law, University of Haifa
- 2010 – “Second Marriage of Jews in Israel: The Relationship between Secular Law and Religious Jewish Courts” International Conference, Jewish Law Association
- 2010 – “The Relationship Between Family Law and Contracts And Torts” , Faculty of Law, University of Haifa